slap- Nick Rowland

Slap follows a young boxer as he explores his sexuality and masculinity. Throughout slap we are constantly present with both representations of masculinity and femininity. The main character is a boxer, a typically masculine sport. But he also wears makeup, which shows his feminine side. The duality represented through his performance, acts as good commentary on sexuality. It does show how damaging and oppressive toxic masculinity is, as in the film the idea of him wearing makeup and being a boxer is a paradox. In this society hes in, he cannot be both, and he will be condemned for being himself. There is a particular scene of him in dress and makeup, where it cuts between him dancing and boxing. This highlights his inner conflict of how he wants to express who he feels he really is. He then hears his gay friend banging on the door asking him to be let in. He cannot bring himself to do it, as he is wearing make up. I believe this shows that he feels so ashamed because of societal expectations that despite his friend (who is oppressed by society as well for being gay), being in danger, he cant yet show himself to the world. This short film does accomplish an in depth character arch which i find to be very impressive, as its only 25 minutes long. I really like the way it has a strong theme that it sticks to and explores it in such a detailed way. I would like to somehow incorporate this into my short film. I like the idea of having a really good moral/tough question/concept as the back bone for my film. This is because I think its a really good starting place and way to make my film unique.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrival - Daniel Montanarini (2016

operator- Caroline Bartleet (2015)

About Me